Monday, September 7, 2015

Random Cooking Days


I always tell myself that I must eat three healthy meals a day, along with healthy snacks in between. I would be super hyped and go grocery shopping with my long list of things I wanted to eat. I would buy everything to prepare my meals for the week, but in the end I seem to fall short on making my meals and eating them. I think the excuse I have is because I am in the city and ordering take-out is so much easier then cooking the meal and cleaning up afterwards.

Since I am no longer in the city... I have no excuse not to cook all my meals.

Watercress Soup (Fresh watercress, salted preserved duck eggs, pork slices)
The biggest problem with living in the middle of nowhere is trying to get fresh meat and vegetables (unless I decide to start a garden and a farm) Which means when you go grocery shopping - pick the vegetables that would last longer than a week - mostly root vegetables such as carrots, onions and potatoes. Also with meat, you just need to buy in larger quantities and then portion it  into freezer bags and keep frozen (therefore it should last you a month or so...) I also recommend buying summer berries and freezing them - this way when you crave something sweet, you can make a delicious smoothie. 

Wild Rice with Pan Fried Pork Chops
Another thing I've learned - is how to cook just the right amount without having any left-overs (I hate eating left-overs unless its left-over desserts) It's also a challenge to cook for two people when I am use to cooking for four people. Especially when I want to make dessert - it's harder to bake smaller batches of cookies than larger batches of cookies - did I mention I have no neighbours to share those cookies with?

Breakfast of Champions - Eggs, Bacon, Cheddar, Cheese Croissant 

I guess that's it for now - happy cooking!


#foodislife



No comments:

Post a Comment